Saturday, April 15, 2006

What a very dismal week this has been.

It got off to a bad start, with my hip/ back/ knee pain being back with a vengeance. Really bad. It wasn’t helped by the fact that I was walking awkwardly again. Anyway, I read on the net that some people, instead of waiting for a flare-up (with the ms) and then taking a five-day course of IV steroids, have a single day ‘maintenance’ dose every month, to keep it under control. I decided to give it a try, and my doc was on board, so I went to the hospital and got a gram of cortisone, just like that. I thought the side-effects would be less. Boy, was I wrong.

The first day I was fine (apart from the excruciating pain in my back, that is). But the next day I was wasted. So tired. I also worried that I may be pregnant, and how would that poor little baby cope with this horrible medicine. Fortunately, it turned out that I wasn’t.
The next couple of days I felt really depressed (a side –effect) and was in constant pain. I felt so fatalistic. Yesterday for the first time, I started feeling a little better. Not great shakes, but I thought that I may be interested in carrying on a bit longer, lol.
My mom phoned to tell me that a lady in our church had died, and when I hung up the phone, I cried and cried. I didn’t know her all that well, and she was going on 86 years old, but it was as if I suddenly had something concrete to feel sad about.
She loved my mom like a daughter and has left her a beautiful piano. I just found it all unbearably sad last night.
Today, the pain is still with me, but it’s not as severe. I feel a lot less sorry for myself, but I must say, I don’t think I see chance for this every month.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I"m sorry the cortison affected you so badly. I hope you feel better soon my friend

3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Maggie, I do hope you are in better health and spirits soon. Lots of love xo

8:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home