Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I’ve officially started my juice fast. It’s going well. This morning I had a glass of grapefruit juice, and I had a glass of orange juice for lunch. Fasting (for me, anyway) is tremendously psychological. If you make it into a big deal, psychologically, then it will be.
The thing is, we’ve all been brainwashed since birth that if we skip a couple of meals we’ll die. This is a huge mental hurdle to overcome. Most of us are capable of going for a month or more without food. Fasting is an ancient practice that dates back to well before biblical times. It was nothing funny back then, everyone did it. It is just modern man that has let go of this extremely beneficial practice.
I don’t want to make any grand announcements about how long I intend to fast. I plan to take it day by day instead, and listen to my body. But I would like to make it for a month.

We are having DStv installed this afternoon. Michael has wanted it for absolute ages, me not. So we played a game of sudoku for it. More fool me. I might have known that if the stakes were high, M would win. The rules were that if he won, we’d get DStv. If I won, we wouldn’t, and I never wanted to hear another word about it. The game itself was tense, you could cut the tension with a knife.
He thoroughly trashed me! So the installation guy is coming later this afternoon. I must admit, I do feel kinda excited.

Thinking back on it, a did find the end of Dead Simple a trifle disappointing. It ended too abruptly for me. I’m not the kind of person that stares at car-wrecks, and people that were involved in accidents, but I do like a bit of gory detail in books. The guy in the book was tortured and had bits of him cut off. The book ended as soon as he was found. I would have at least liked to know what shape he was in.
Nevertheless, I would like to read the second Roy Grace novel, by Peter James. I like the character of this quirky Detective Superintendent. And I’d like to find out what happens between him and Cleo Morey. And if he ever discovers what happened to Sandy…
My back is still damn sore. Hardly got any sleep last night. I joke that my wheel-alignment must be out, because I’m pulling left (when I walk).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the fast Maggs. I have just consumed about my own weight in chocolates but it help zilth for my emotions :(

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home