Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Nice day day, after all.

Michael and I ended up having a wonderful day in Jo’burg, and believe me, his shares are high.

I was so stressed out last night. I couldn’t find a blank cd for the stuff I wanted to write for my sister (whom I saw today), my throat was sore and worst of all, I couldn’t find the letter from the insurance company to the neurologist with the form he has to fill in, and also saying they would foot the bill. I’ve seen it dozens of times in my stationery drawer over the past couple of weeks, but last night it was gone. I went through that drawer three times from top to bottom, to no avail. Eventually, very tearfully, I went to bed just a little ball of stress. What the hell was I going to do?

Next morning, M made it all better. He found the letter (it was next to my side of the bed, I’d used it as a bookmark, *blush* ) He also came up with a blank cd, and even borrowed his dad’s GPS so that we didn’t have to worry about getting lost. A distinct possibility, believe me. We ended up having a really fun outing, M & M on another whirlwind adventure (Shrek2)

We ate at a very overpriced cafeteria at the hospital where the neuro is. I hate it when sick people get exploited, those prices are exorbitant and the service was poor. I had to smile though, when I read the ad on the table: Please buy our buns; we knead the dough. Isn’t that cute? Then I saw a little animal out of the corner of my eye, looked like a small dog. It went under my chair, and when I bent down, I saw it was a fat pigeon. He walked around as if he owned the place, too tame for words. M said it looked like it was part of the dove mafia. The doffia. I know people, touch me and see what happens. It was written all over his face.

The neurologist’s waiting room was empty, to our glee. We weren’t pleased for long, though. He was actually not even there, stuck in traffic coming back from a court case (yikes). Not only that, but there were loads of people in front of us in the queue, but they’d actually been appraised of his absence and had buggered off to catch a bite to eat, or something. We ended up being there for about two hours. He eventually breezed in, not even bothering to greet anyone, nevermind apologise for his tardiness.

The neurologist looks like Jack Nicholson, only older and uglier. Same eyebrows. He just waffles on for ages without letting anyone else (me!) get a word in edgewise. Then when I do get a gap to talk, he interrupts me. Definitely didn’t leave there any the wiser, (immaterial, as I still believe I’m cured) but it seems like he won’t be vetoing the revision of my disability pension. Looks like I’m still enough of a ‘krok’ to qualify for my old pensiontjie.

My throat is as sore as hell, btw. I hope I’m not in for it.

Next, we went to my sister’s place of work. It’s a lovely primary school, if slightly reminiscent of Fort Knox. She is looking lovely, and you just see how the kids love her. It was so nice seeing her. She told us this joke:

A lion, a shark and a chicken are talking about which of them is the scariest. The lion says, “I’m king of the jungle. When I roar, everyone listens.” The shark says, “Ooh, that’s nothing, I terrorise the whole ocean, if I so much as flip my tail, everyone scatters.”
“So what?” says the chicken. “If I just cough, everyone sh*ts in their pants.”

I thought that was classic.

On a patriotic note, isn’t it great that South Africa won the Oscar for best foreign film. Way to go, Tsotsi!


On a sadder note, I heard on the news that Christopher Reeves’ widow passed away today. I was so sad to hear that, as I saw her on Oprah not so long ago, and thought she was absolutely courageous and amazing. I’m so sorry she lost her battle. At least they are together now, but I feel so sad for their son. In a couple of years, he has lost both his parents. What a terrible blow that must be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Wenchy said...

Maggie. You take my breath away with your warmth, your enthusias and your strength.

I am richer for knowing you.

10:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an idiotic doctor! URGH can't stand those types.
I'm glad you and Mike had a lovely day despite the doctor's visit.

I hope you aren't getting flu!

8:25 am  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thank you so much!

1:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home