Thursday, May 25, 2006

Newsworthy day!

I have SO much news, for a change.

Sonja’s Christopher has been born and he is just gorgeous1 Mother and child are doing fine. He weighs 3.775kg and is 51cm long. He also has flat ears. Sonja was worried that he’d inherit her ears, which she doesn’t like (even though there’s nothing wrong with them!) He was born with quite a bit of hair. Michael and I were the first members of the family to see him. He was in the incubator and was very restful, although he was obviously ‘checking the place out’, and wondering “where on earth am I now?” It was so special to be there to witness Sonja and Jannie’s special miracle.

I also got my water-distiller today (can I stand all the excitement, lol). I haven’t put it through its paces yet, although I have been reading all its pamphlets and getting to know it. Some of its parts needed to be washed, and stand overnight with the cleaning agent in. Tomorrow I have my first taste of home-distilled water. How my life has changed that this is now something that really excites m, lol. I have a lot still to say on the subject, and my experience with the supplier, which was very good. That’ll do for tomorrow’s post, however.

Another thing that happened this morning was that Bosveld Barbie next doot finally drove me over the edge. She played her backing music with the bass so loud this morning that I felt it vibrating in my body while I was in the bath! And it hurt my ears. It just carried on and on the whole morning. Then I realized that it was childish to fume and curse in my flat about it. I should act like a mature adult and go and see her. So I went and knocked on her door (between songs). I greeted her, and then remarked that she has a lovely voice (which is true, I’ve just had an overdose of it). I reading reading once that before criticizing, one should make a compliment. You catch more flies with honey, and all that…) Then I requested that she just turn down her bass a little, as it was overpoweringly loud. She took it well, and said that the amp is resting against our (communal) wall. That explains a lot! And said that they would move it. Yay! She thanked me for coming to talk to her in a civilized manner, and said I should come again if it was still bothering me. After that, the volume went down considerably. Much better. I feel quite proud of myself for sorting it out so amicably.
I had such a treat today. I bought a loaf of pure rye bread, and some raw honey to spread on it. So delicious. The honey, I saw after I got home, is unheated and unfiltered and basically just un-fiddled with. It’s also Badger Friendly. I was very pleased to read that, because I absolutely LOVE honey-badgers. I love watching wildlife doccies about them, and I even passed one at close quarters while on veld-school. It is a surprisingly big animal. I remember being very surprised as it trotted past me in the grounds one night.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wenchy said...

You always amaze me.

6:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You handled that perfectly!! YEAH!! glad she got the message without getting upset

10:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home