Wednesday, February 01, 2006

What's new pussycat?

I looked around our little house/ flat today, and at our little garden, and was struck by how pretty it is. Michael and I have been gearing up to move, because of the stairs, but I suddenly realized that I really don’t want to. It is just the right size for us, so cozy. We spoke today about what a disruption it is to move, and how it can take weeks to settle down again. So I think we’ll stay put for now.

Made a bit of a pig of myself over the banana-bread. Some things never change, lol.

I read an article today about a ‘new’ disorder called Orthorexia Nervosa (not to be confused with Anorexia). It happens when people become so obsessed with eating healthily that they actually do themselves damage. They eat exclusively from health-food shops, and become obsessed with eating, to the extent that they plan meals up to a week in advance (even I was never that bad). They eat so strictly that they don’t get all the nutrients they need, and lose way too much weight. But it is never about losing weight for them, only to eat healthily.
For a scary moment, I thought that I may have had this disorder, but as I read on, I realized that I definitely didn’t. One thing I made sure of, and that was that I was informed about what I needed to be eating. These girls that suffer from Orthorexia, tend to completely cut out fats and carbs, which I never did. I always kept up my ‘good’ fat intake, and fortunately I absolutely adore brown rice and potatoes, so carbs weren’t a problem.
Still, I was pretty obsessed by the whole thing. It’s amazing how sometimes you lose sight of the big picture.
Personally, I like old Hippocrates’ maxim: Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. I really do believe in the power of putting decent food in your mouth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nan said...

Hippocrates got it right didn't he.

The banana bread sounds scrumptious. I'm trying to eat more nuts lately without going overboard and eating too many. They seem to be something I've always neglected and btw they're great in banana bread!

2:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just thought it is time for your biggest fan to leave a message. Your banana bread is as scrumptous as you and your blog and your outlook on life. Thanks, the banana bread was great!
M

9:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you over did it. You were conscious of everything you needed to take in. You did what you felt you needed to, to keep your body healthy. Interesting disorder though

12:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home