Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sunday. You can make an omelette without breaking legs!

Tonight I got it into my head to make omelettes for supper. I love omelettes. One of my favourites to order when we go eating out. But here's the thing: I've never made one before. Not that I can remember, anyway. How hard can it be though, right?

Michael obviously liked the idea too because he was very game to go to our local Kwik-Spar to get the eggs. Except he came back with all the ingredients, (including some Jungle Oats bars for me, and some Coke and ice-cream for him) except the eggs. So back he went, this time returning with free-range eggs as specified by me.

I, in the meantime, popped online and did a search for Basic Omelette Recipe. Did a quick scan of them, nodding my head. Not too difficult. Only, I don't have a non-stick frying pan or plastic spatula. Still, too late now. Michael being en-route with the eggs and expecting omelettes.

Wonder of wonders, the omelettes didn't turn out too badly. They were bloody hard to flip over, given that I don't possess non-stick pan/ plastic spatula. So regular pan and metal spoon and egg-lifter had to suffice. I guess that's how they did them in the days before the marvel of teflon.
Luckily, with all the fillings (tomato, green-pepper and mushrooms, cheese, and ham for Michael's) it disguised wuite well that they were a bit torn, especially once I grated some cheese on top of them.

The verdict: Pretty good. Michael said perhaps the best omelette he's had. I have to agree with him that it wasn't too bad for my first stab at an omelette.

Note: Not all my cooking experiments turn out as well. Some cause a lot of tears and swearing. Especially by Michael who has to eat them. LOL. Only kidding, he is very gracious.

Omelettes are very French in origin. Apparently they eat them as a light meal, with a salad and a glass of wine. I like the sound of that. (Not the wine, I hate wine). Michael too. We're going to stop snacking on junk, and start celebrating the light-meal. I'm mostly vegetarian, but I like eggs. And I love omelettes. Good source of protein, too, which the vegetarian is conscious of.

I'm worried about my eyes. I've lost quite a bit of vision in my left eye. The only reason I'm not freaking out, is because that's my weaker eye as it is. I'm worried about the fact that the cortisone didn't seem to help with the optic neuritis. Very worrying indeed. I'll probably have to go for a larger dose of IV cortisone if this doesn't clear up soon. Damn.
My walking, however, if better than it's been in more than a year. My parents are commenting on it whenever I see them. I love that. Of course, they cheered me on when I learnt to walk the first time round, and here they are still cheering me on. I'm so blessed to have them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home