Saturday, October 07, 2006

What the hey? I'm on a roll!

Yesterday I went outside to water our garden a bit. I put the sprayer on, and the kids from next door came to chat to me. They are very sweet kids, I like them a lot. I put the sprayer in the communal stretch of garden for them to play in, and they had such a nice time. They put on their swimming costumes and ran through it, cartwheeled over it, and just generally got soaking wet.
They told me that they will be moving one of these days, to a house in the area. I was sad to hear this, as I've gotten quite attached to them. This is the same family where the mom is a proffesional singer. Ever since the time I asked her to turn down the bass on her amp, there has been no more trouble. I have actually gotten quite fond of her voice. I'll be sorry to see them go.
I know this is a different tune to the one I was singing a few months ago. There is an expression in Afrikaans: Om te kla met 'n wit brood onder jou arm. This translates to complaining with a white bread under your arm, i.e. complaining when you actually have it pretty good.
The truth is, they are really nice neighbours, and decent people.
Unlike the people on the other side of us. They are complete riffraff. I'm not snobbish, but these people are terribly badly behaved and downright common. They are unemployed, and celebrate it by having loud, drunken parties on weekday nights. Apparently, they are in arrears with their rent. If that was me, you wouldn't hear a peep out of me, but they are so loud and disruptive that the neighbour on the other side of them, has called out the cops at least three times in a two month period. I just don't get it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo good to hear from you Mags! I'm so happy to hear things are going so well and your health is cooperating.

I have drug dealers living across the hall from me in my building. I know it in my gut, but if I can't PROVE it, I'm sorta stuck. I wish we could pick our neighbours!

12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. I hope you get good neighbours again!

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home