Friday, February 10, 2006

Surprise!

Today was a special day. I received probably one of the best surprises of my life. It was almost as good (and definitely as unexpected) as a surprise party!
My (lovely!) parents-in-law bought me…wait for it…The Complete Works of Gary Larson, which I have been coveting since I learnt of its existence.
I was completely bowled over by this. And almost shy at a gift of such grandeur. But not quite, lol.
I can’t believe Michael kept this secret, as he knew about it.
We went to visit, on the pretext of viewing my MIL’s new bicycle. So Michael went ahead of me, and told his mom, “The book’s a bicycle, the book’s a bicycle!”
So when I asked, “So where’s the new bike?’ she said, “Right this way.”
I had no idea whatsoever what the gift was. It looked intriguing enough, but I couldn’t figure it out. Eventually, Michael lifted it out for me, and I can’t describe the emotions that went through me when I realized what it was.
It’s a two-book box-set, and collector’s edition. Leather-bound, with glossy, illustrated pages. No doubt as to what I’m going to be doing for the next couple of weeks.
I didn’t have a clue something was up. We even went into the office earlier in the day, where the parcel was lying on the table, and I absently ran my hand over it. Little did I know.
Sometimes life is just so worth living, and it is the people in it that make it so.
I’m acting a bit hyper now, from all the excitement, I guess, lol.
Thank you so much, Mom & Dad. What is even more special than the gift itself, is the thought behind it.

It’s just gone midnight and it is now myself and Michael’s 5th wedding anniversary. We’re going to bed now (to sleep!) but have a fun day planned for tomorrow, which may or may not include a round of golf, weather permitting. These have been the best 5 years of my life, and I say so even though I was ill for a large part of them. They’ve just been a great experience.
Looking back, I knew pretty much jack-sh*t when I was 20, but there was one thing that I really got right. And that was saying ‘yes’ when Michael asked me to marry him. It was by far the smartest couple of seconds of my life. I love Michael for his intelligence, his sense of humour and wit, his strength of character, compassion, and even for occasionally being a dumb-ass. His blue-eyes and sexy butt, don’t hurt, either.
After meeting Michael, my sister said to me, “I can’t believe you found someone just like you!”.
And it’s true, we’re really on the same wave-length. We share a (warped) sense of humour, and ‘get’ each other’s jokes. I never thought it could get this good.
I love you, Michael. Don’t ever change.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww happy anniversary you two!! I only hope I can be so lucky as to have a love so special myself someday! xo

12:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to the two of you. You wrote such beautiful things about him there, I sat crying here at work! I'm not well LOL

So glad you love the gift :_) And we so badly wanted you to stay at lunch time, so that my folks could give it to you LOL

11:58 am  
Blogger Wenchy said...

This was just beautiful. Happy Anniversary to you both!

8:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home