Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Issues are such a waste of time, lol.

My niece, Clarize, looks like Liz Hurley must’ve looked when she was that age.
My nephew, Douglas, looks like Haley Joel Osment, as he looked in AI.
My SIL, Natalie, looks like a cross between Keri Russel (of Felicity fame) and Natalie Portman.
And my SIL, Melany has a look of Madeleine Stowe about her. She reminds me of another actress though, but I just can’t put my finger on who it might be.

When we visited at my in-laws during lunch, Michael and the little boys were fooling around on the wheel-chair. I felt just a little shocked at this cavalier treatment of something that was my only mode of transport not so long ago, and is a universal symbol of handicapped people. But then I told myself to lighten up, they were only having some fun, not desecrating a sacred artifact. I live in fear of taking myself too seriously. I mean really. It’s just that some uncomfortable memories arose for me, and I found it quite disturbing to see my Michael sitting in a wheel-chair.
But other than that, I have to admit that a wheel-chair can be enormous fun. When we were in Pretoria, I actually jay-walked in it. Michael pushes a wheel-chair the same way he drives a car. Let’s just say it was a wild-ride.
Now that I’ve dealt with the emotions, though, I know that it won’t bother me again. I actually find it quite cute now. The little ones call it their ‘taxi’. In a way, it’s good. People shouldn’t be afraid of wheel-chairs, or people in wheel-chairs, like it might be catching. In fact, people should be taught how to handle them at school.

There is a movie showing on M-Net tonight that really piqued my interest when I read about it in the guide. It stars Richard Gere, and goes about a manic depressive guy who falls in love with his therapist. It looks good. Can’t remember the name though. It’ll show at half past eleven, at which time I’ll probably be fired up on all cylinders because of how late I slept this morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know how to react either when I saw the boys fooling around on the wheelchair. But like you say - it's also good that they see wheelchairs and people who use them, as "normal" as we are

5:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maggs,

I am a friend of Mel's from a parenting group.
I often think that Mel looks like a prettier Steffi Graff in her pics.
http://www.staticfiends.com/best_friend/steffi-graf.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6147/steffi3.html

Glad to read that you are feeling better. Keep it up!

Regards
Jane

7:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home