Saturday, January 21, 2006

Happy days are here again...

We're still in the wars a bit, but I still have a song in my heart every second of the day. Poor Michael is as sick as a dog with the flu. It's been brewing for at least a week, of him feeling tired and stressy at work. I had an appointment at my chiropractor today (more about that later), so we had to drive to another town, which takes at least 35 minutes. Poor M felt really sick on the way home. Hopefully it has reached its peak now and he can start getting better. We pretty much vegged out in front of the tv for the rest of the afternoon, although we did make ourselves some decent food. He had to do the dishes though, as I'm feeling too sore.

I'm in quite a bit of pain, which is usual after a visit to the chiro with this hip. It has been permanently sore for the last week so I had to make a plan. Fortunately, I'm walking so much easier now that the chances are good that it will heal up . I hope so, because this nagging pain wears a person down. The Dr was pretty impressed by my walking. He has read up on spinal manipulation for ms since I was last there, and I got the full-body workout, lol. He did my neck (which I wasn't so keen on, but anyway), my spine, both shoulder blades and both hips. It is a strange sensation. Not painful, but a bit creepy. Anyway, the SI joint seemed to click in nicely, so hopefully that's it. It's pretty sore right now though. I'll be so happy when it's healed. It's the only thing that's stopping me from doing a lot of cool stuff that I've been waiting about eight months to do, that I now (wonderfully) can do again.
Unfortunately, because of all this, I couldn't go visit Mel as I had planned. Still, she'll have to beat me off with a stick once my hip's right. I'm so infatuated with gorgeous baba Zander.

And that calls for an update: Melany's little boy, Zander, was born exactly a week ago. Isn't it so precious to still be counting your age in days? He is tiny, but just perfect, and the calmest, sweetest little one I've ever seen. He's got these amazing eyes that look like he knows exactly what's going on around him. They are such a nice family.

Interesting bit of trivia: I am exactly as old as my favourite cartoon strip, The Farside. It debuted in January 1980. How about that! Michael gave me some money for my birthday to spend on something that I really want. I've been having such fun making a list of the things I want to buy. But now I've seen the complete, collected works of Gary Larson's The Far Side. It comes in a box set, consisting of two hardcover books, comprising every cartoon every syndicated up till 2003. It's very expensive, but I am so tempted. But if I buy that, then I won't have all that much (any!)money left for the other things I want, so I have to choose between. But I'm so tempted... But can I really spend R700 on two books? That's insane. Though it will provide hours of entertainment... Help!

Things are going great with my diet. Prior to my little hospital stay, UI went about as far off it as it was possible to go. And on the way home I actually had a pack of Macdonald's fries (cringe) and an awful muffin from the supermarket. It wasn't nice at all, but I just kept going. And it was JUMBO. It repeated on me for the rest of the day. Yuck. But since then, something amazing has happened. It just slotted back into place by itself, no effort on my part required. (I think it was The Muffin From Hell that drove me there. But then I told myself that all my previous restrictions are gone. If I wanted to eat something (anything at all), I could, only not in massive portions. The choice was totally mine, whether I wanted to put junk in my mouth, or good nutricious food that would help me heal. And since the temptation of forbidden fruit has been removed, I am actually choosing the latter. It's weird, but then we all love to do what we're not allowed to do, that's half the fun. Now that it's available, I couldn't be less interested. Yay. Reverse psychology on my own self
Then I watched the movie Supersize me, anc I swear, I don't think I could eat Macdonald's now if I tried. Scary stuff.

I've gone off my beta injections. It was originally because I couldn't cope with their side-effects in hospital on top of everything else, so I took a break. But I'm feeling so much better that I'm reluctant to go back on them. The bruises on my stomach from them are finally fading, and I just don't feel like going back on them. I'll have to decide soon though.

I feel so great. I've decided that I'm not going to waste any time worrying about the future. I'm just going to enjoy every precious second.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Maggie, I am soooo happy for you. Go ahead with this wonderful spirit, and healing!!! I am thinking about you all the time!

10:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R700 bucks for everything farside is a steal... of course you'll feel a bit daft when the book goes on special in a few months --- ha ha ha

11:49 am  
Blogger Maggie said...

It is on special,Locway, that's the thing. Usually it is over R900. And it's only till the end of the month, so I'll have to move fast, lol.

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling so well. Both physically and emotionally.

3:07 pm  
Blogger Nan said...

I LOVE the Farside. It'd be hard for me to pass that up.

Also, I saw the film you were talking about. I need to watch it every day!

And last but not least I changed my internet address. Like an idiot I signed in with my former one on my family site. I love my family, but I'm so much more able to share with non-family members for some strange reason. My new address is:

http://cateimagines2.blogspot.com/

5:15 pm  
Blogger Maggie said...

I know what you mean, Cate. Sometimes it is just easier to share things with people you've never even met, thus the charm of the internet. It's just a different relationship, isn't it?

5:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home