Monday, January 15, 2007

Countdown.

Tomorrow is my appointment with the neurologist. I'm excited about it but also nervous. I read up on some of the side-effects of the drug, and they include shortness of breath (which I hate), diarrhea, chest infections, headaches. Although, they are nowhere near as bad as the side-effects of the inteferons. I still haven'y forgotten the vicious leg-spasms I got from them!
What also bothers me, is that of course no-one knows what the long-term effects will entail. Scary.

And of course, there is the big question of: Am I on the placebo or the Real Thing? (Maybe I'll be really naughty and have a blood-test to solve that one. Then at least I'll know, and can carry on with my fasting program).

Anyway, tomorrow I'll find out if I can even go on the trials, wwhich is the first hurdle.

I swam 80 laps yesterday, and am loving it. I can feel a difference after only two weeks of swimming.

However, the relapse is starting to affect my breathing, which is very scary. Slight difficulty taking in a deep breath, which I recognise as a sign. This means that the lesion on my spinal cord is intefering with it.
I remember back in2001 when I was diagnosed, when the neuro saw the MRI scan, he panicked and admitted me to hospital for steroid treatment immediately, saying that I could stop beathing at any time. At least I only have one more day to wait until I can take medication at any time I feel I need it.
But given that my breathing laboured, I might skip the swimming today.

We watched Casablanca last night, and it was so good. Michael enjoyed it a lot. He said that at first he thought some of the stuff they said was corny, until he realised that that was where the lines originally came from!

Quotes from Casablanca that we all know and love:
  • Here's looking at you, Kid.
  • Play it again, Sam.
  • We'll always have Paris.
  • The lives of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.
  • Of all the gin-joints, in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
  • I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right. Casablanca was very good. Good luck at the doctor tomorrow. X...

9:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the doctors tomorrow. Drive safely and I'll be thinking of you. NMOTB also asked that I must tell you that she is thinking of you. For some reason she can't leave messages today

10:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best with the assessment. I'll be holding thumbs!

p.s. Can yoga not assist with your condition at all? It works on strength, balance and flexibility...and mostly improves core strength and spinal stability.

12:04 pm  
Blogger Maggie said...

Thx for the good luck wishes!

Jane, I ordered a Yogalates DVD (mixture of Yoga and Pilates)last week. I'm really hoping it will help.

9:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi maggie enjoy the yogalates. The good thing about yoga is it can only do good, and never does harm (unless you did something REALLY silly, which is unlikely with you, as you are pretty in tune with your body).

I wrote 2 long blog posts about it for friends:
http://janewsblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/om-my-god.html
and
http://janewsblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/yoga-practice.html

I just did a quick search on yoga for ms and there is a lot of info there.

"Yoga is an ancient practice that combines posture, breathing, and meditation to connect body, mind and spirit. For people with MS it can provide the following benefits:



· Relief of chronic pain

· Diminishes fatigue
· Relieves depression and anxiety
· Improves spasticity
· Helps overcome stiffness
· Increases oxygen in the blood
· Promotes relaxation and sound sleeping
· Encourages living in the moment
· Provides a fun way to exercise and meet new friends" (the last point would be if you were in a class of course)

"Physical activity is extremely important for individuals with MS, and yoga is now recognized as an excellent means of MS management, whether the individual manifests little or no outward signs of the disease, or whether they spend most of their time in a wheelchair. The benefits of yoga postures (asana), working with the breath (pranayama), and meditation may include increased body awareness, release of muscular tension (thus relieving spasticity), increased coordination and balance, increased flexibility and strength, control over fatigue, increased tolerance to heat, improved circulation and breathing, improved organ function (including bowel and bladder), enhanced alertness, better management of stress and an overall feeling of well-being."

Anyway I'll be holding thumbs for you that you get onto the trials.

I love your attitude and fresh outlook on life.

2:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home